Monday, December 19, 2011

Lights of the Lowcountry

This weekend we went to check out one of Charleston's biggest holiday traditions: the Holiday Festival of Lights. This drive-through and walk-through light display is put on at the James Island County Park every year, which is right next to our house (you may remember I wrote about it here.)

Growing up in Tulsa, "light display" to me, equals Rhema. If you're not familiar with Rhema Bible College's "Christmas Lights Extravaganza!", check it out here. I've also been to the Festival of Lights in Chickasha (Oklahoma.) So call me a light display connoisseur if you will. And I hate to break it to you OK, but Charleston out did you.

They had a great driving loop of light displays as well as separate walking trails with their own lights. They also had a Santa's Village and Winter Wonderland that included marshmallow-roasting fire pits, hot chocolate, concessions, carousel rides, climbing wall (random?), and some holiday art made by local schools.

John and our friend Branden roasting marshmallows on the outdoor fire pits. This was probably my favorite part! That and the kettle corn!

Since the park makes their own light displays, everything was original and very Charleston-esque. Therefore, I present to you friends back home....

8 Things You Probably Won't See in Your Oklahoma Light Shows...

Ah, rainbow row (Charleston's most photographed spot) all lit up in lights. And headlights.

The Charleston Single House, the classic architecture style most associated with my new city.

Fort Sumter! Look out!

I love me some Palmettos (the tree, not the bug)

Arrrrgh, Matey! Charleston's got some pirate history, so why not include it? This was right up my alley.

A whole section of underwater fun! Because hey, we live next to the ocean! Woohoo!

Santa, in scuba gear, made out of sand....yeah this was a little weird for me, too.

And my favorite display of the whole night...

Live Oak trees with lights as Spanish Moss (sorry it's blurry) So pretty! And a much better use of those icicle lights if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment