Monday, December 5, 2011

Boats Before Bedlam

This weekend was one of the best for holiday events in Charleston. There was the lighting of the city Christmas tree, a Christmas parade downtown, the annual Holiday Boat Parade and Katie got almost all of her Christmas shopping done! Wow!

Besides the Christmas shopping (that takes a lot of time, people!) I went to the holiday boat parade. Because after all, they have Christmas trees and regular-ol'-Christmas parades in Oklahoma. But I had never seen a parade of boats decked out in hundreds of twinkling Christmas lights before. Now I have!

John was out of town this weekend, so I had to go to this one solo. There was tons of people packed around the Battery though, so I wasn't lonely. Turns out a big part of the boat parade is waiting for the boats as they make their way through the harbor from Mount Pleasant.

While we waited for the big boats, some lighted row boats and kayaks came through singing Christmas songs and shouting "Merry Christmas" back and forth to the parade watchers on land. Other shouts could also be heard as the tide crashed against the brick retaining wall and drenched those standing at the railing above-- hilarious!

I tried to take some pictures of the boats, but it was pretty dark out there and my camera has a crappy zoom. BUT...I found a YouTube video of the parade with some much better shots. Here it is!


After the parade, I went home to watch a certain football game that I don't want to talk about. Let's just pretend that didn't happen, eh Sooners? At least I live somewhere where there are no OSU fans around to rub it in my face!

No comments:

Post a Comment