Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Our friend Bear

Last weekend my coworker Kristin asked me to watch her sweet old golden retriever, Bear, while she went out of town for the weekend. Bear often comes to the office, so I knew how wonderful he was. So I agreed and took Bear home with me last Friday, beginning my first three days with a dog.

Bear, my friend for the weekend

I had dogs growing up, but I never really took care of them myself if you know what I mean. Unlike my sister who is a crazy all-animal-lover, caring for animals does not really come naturally to me. It takes me a while to warm up to and actually fall in love with a dog. But John and I have been talking about getting a dog in the near future, so I figured this weekend with Bear would be a good trial run for me.

Bear could not have been a better guinea pig. He's an older dog, so not too rambunctious, and is as laid-bak as can be. John had to work all weekend, so
Bear and I had a lot of time to spend together.

We ran errands together (Bear is a great shopping partner), we went on walks around the neighborhood and we just laid around in the living room watching chick flicks.


"Chick flicks? I love a good rom-com!"

Bear was just as disappointed as me in Reese Witherspoon's performance in "How Do You Know." I think he fell asleep.

When John got off work Saturday, we took Bear to the dog park! I was nervous that I was going to have to pick up his poop...but luckily he didn't have to go while we were there.

Me and my new buddy

John loved Bear right away (again, those animal people) and enjoyed playing with him all weekend.


On Sunday, Bear went home with his mama...and I can't say I was completely sad to see him go. It was nice having company this weekend, but he also shed all over my floor and slobbered in my car. (Come on Bear! That middle console is leather!) Overall, I learned there are both ups and downs to having a dog. And for now, I'm okay with having neither.

No comments:

Post a Comment