Saturday, October 15, 2011

Hip Hop for the Cure

This weekend I ran in my first Race for the Cure in Charleston. I wasn't just running though, I was also dancing! In a hip hop FLASH MOB that is!

Backing up a little, some of you know I take weekly hip hop fitness classes at Peace Love Hip Hop. I love learning a new dance every week and even though I'm no professional dancer by any means, it's such a great and energizing work out!

So I joined my dance class' Race for the Cure team and our instructor also organized a flash mob for us to do before the race. The five minute routine consisted of several songs and jump-in points for those who take the hip hop classes. We practiced the routine in class several weeks leading up to the race and practiced at home with the help of some You Tube choreography videos. We kept the flash mob a secret and the day of the race we surprised everyone by preforming it in the middle of the crowd before the race!


Me and some of my friends from class before the flash mob and race. Our whole group wore these t-shirts we ordered and some pretty awesome black and pink knee socks.


About an hour before the race, a pretty big crowd of people had gathered around the main stage....right where the flash mob happened! There was probably about 100 of us that did the dance and it was awesome!

Are you ready for it?! Here's the video:


Even though our dancing space was pretty tight, the flash mob went off without a hitch. And what an adrenaline rush! I couldn't stop smiling the whole time! So so so much fun! Something I'm happy I can now say I did :)

Afterward my friend Molly and I ran in the 5K together and both did great! I ran the whole time, sprinted across the finish line and clocked in at 29.23.


Me and Molly after the race.

What a great dance, great run and all for a great cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment