Saturday, October 15, 2011

Lowcountry Oyster Roast

Last year in Birmingham we learned all about the Southern tradition of crawfish boils. By the end of the year, I'm pretty sure we attended about 5 crawfish boils and John (I don't eat seafood) was crawdadded out.

In the Lowcountry, it's goodbye cradads, hello oysters! Lowcountry oyster roasts are pretty legendary, and we experienced our first one this week!

For Pharmacy Appreciation Month (yay October!), MUSC hosted an oyster roast for the pharmacists, alumni, sponsors, students, etc. Even though I'm not a pharmacist, I appreciated the free dinner and drinks!

The event was held at a restaurant right on the water of Shem Creek - a main inlet that connects to the Charleston Harbor.


Beautiful Charleston sunset!

With the beautiful sunset and a cool breeze coming off the water, the scenery was almost as good as the dinner! We even saw several dolphins swimming through the creek out to sea and enjoyed watching the yachts sail through.

John embraced the oyster eating like a true Charlestonian. These oysters were steamed and John said he actually prefers them raw! (Yuck!) Again, I don't eat seafood, so I didn't partake. Maybe I'll try them fried one day.


That's a bunch of oysters! Apparently the table with the hole in the middle is key here.

Beautiful weather, great scenery and a wonderful evening appreciating my pharmacist :)

1 comment:

  1. The last time I had them like this was at Granny and Pa's house in Jacksonville. They steamed them on some old tin using wet blankets on top. I only really liked them sandwiched between saltine crackers. Glad to read about all your memory making! Julie

    ReplyDelete