Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Bevo Bonfire VICTORY Party

Last week John and I were really bummed that we weren’t going to be going to the OU/TX game in Dallas again this year. It is definitely my favorite Sooner football tradition and I miss getting to partake in it at the Cotton Bowl with other Sooner fans. Since Charleston is incredibly far from Dallas and plane flights are expensive, John had the great idea of throwing a victory party at our house on Saturday night instead.

So last week we invited all John’s co-residents over for a Bevo Bonfire on Saturday night. Several people asked us what we were going to do if we lost…those silly doubters. We didn’t have that problem because, of course, we won 55-17! John and I were jumping and cheering so loud during the game, I’m sure they heard us all the way from the Lowcountry.


Before I get into the awesomeness that was the Bevo Bonfire. Here’s a short montage of what I love about OU/TX from the five years we did get to go!

  1. The student lottery for seats. My freshman year (and our first OU/TX game) we got tickets on the 4th row! In the following years we learned how to sell those good seats, buy crappy seats and still make a profit to fund the weekend! Sooner entrepreneurship at its best.

Our first OU/TX game in 2005...on the 4th row of the stadium!

Second year in the nosebleeds. Still fun!

2. The crazy atmosphere of the West End on Friday night. One year we saw a Texas fan fall out of a tree…then get arrested.

West End with friends on the night before the game my junior year

3. Riding the DART train. To get to the Cotton Bowl, the DART is the fastest and easiest way. You park on the outskirts of town somewhere and ride the rail, now directly to the stadium. Oh the amount of people on those trains wearing crimson and burnt orange.


Where's that train?

4. The crazy fandom in the Cotton Bowl.

Crimson and burnt orange split 50/50

Sooners!

5. Fair food! Need I say more?

John loves him a turkey leg. My favorites are corny dogs and salt water taffy!

6. Family. We took my mom and my sister to their first OU/TX game. Now my mom is hooked and continues to go every year! I also have some cousins in Dallas who we usually get to visit when we’re in town for the game.


Though we weren’t there this year, the Bevo Bonfire turned out great! We fired up the grill in the backyard and had a nice little buffet of sides and appetizers. We had some Arkansas fans in the group (Woo pig!) so we watched the Arkansas game while we ate.



We roasted marshmallows, made s’mores and enjoyed sitting and talking around the fire in the backyard.


And we played cornhole by torchlight, which actually makes the game very challenging!



It wasn't the same as being there, but we had a great time celebrating our win with friends! Thanks for helping us celebrate everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment