Monday, April 23, 2012

Tasty Weekend

John and I have been laying low the last couple weeks (Actually, I have. John is always working like crazy.) getting ready for a pretty busy May. My two best friends are coming to Charleston next month and I couldn't be more excited! I'm sure I'll have plenty of adventures to fill you in on after their stay.

In the meantime, we had ourselves a nice little weekend eating some new yummy things around Charleston. First up: really freakin' good pizza.

Our friends Nate and Alexandra introduced us to D'Allesandro's Pizza on Friday night. The place is very low key, you might say hole in the wall, and was full of college students the night we were there. I liked that you could see the cooks preparing the pizza and sliding 'em in the brick ovens right behind the bar. Tossing pizza dough in the air = awesome.

We ordered the wings to start, seemed to be a hit among the wing-eaters, but the pizza was by far the stand out. John got the meat lovers as usual, while the rest of us split the Luau--- mozzarella, feta, bacon, onion, pineapple and a drizzle of BBQ sauce. I love me some pineapple pizza and this may the best I've ever had.

John lovin' him some pizza

I can see why the college students love it, too, since it was very reasonably priced. We'll definitely be going back again. 

And then for a complete 360, after D'Allesandro's, we decided to go to Peninsula Grill for drinks and dessert. Peninsula Grill is a pretty posh fine dining restaurant right by the City Market. You know it's fancy when they have individual real towels in the bathroom instead of paper towels. Nice!

We couldn't really afford much on the menu, but that's okay because we were there for just one thing. The coconut cake. Peninsula Grill is world famous for this cake. In fact, you can order a whole cake online for $100. Before our $10 slice arrived at our seats at the bar, we were all joking about how ridiculous it is to order a $100 cake. After that first bite... I'd pay $200. It was absolutely amazing. 

Sorry for the blurry shot. I didn't have time to focus, because I had to fight John for every bite of this  slice we shared. Actually, he was very gracious. Even let me have the last bite. Now that's love. 

I'm not a huge fan of coconut on most days, however I do enjoy a good samoa, but luckily this cake's coconut flavor wasn't overpowering. And you can tell the coconut used is the real deal, not the overly sweet fake stuff. So creamy, so delicious... I'm going to be dreaming about this for weeks. 

Saturday was another fun day of good food and time with friends. John worked all day, so Ali and I declared it a girls day and started the morning off with manicures and pedicures. We had planned to go to the beach, but the rain clouds had other plans. Luckily after our appointments at the nail salon, the sun came out long enough for lunch at the farmers market. 

Have I told you how much I love the Marion Square farmers market? Pretty amazing. And the crepes (upper left corner) are the best.

That night, we stayed in and had a chick flick movie marathon ("Steel Magnolias" and "Ghost".) And of course, no girls night is complete without chocolate....

Our new favorite-- Sweeteeth chocolate, made locally. I had Peanut Butter and Chocolate and Chocolate Carmel Seasalt.
My peanut butter chocolate bar. That seasalt on top really makes all the difference. So yum!

I hope your weekend was just as tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment