Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Gettin' Wild

This weekend we had our first experience with one of Charleston's biggest annual events, the Southeastern Wildlife Exposition ( or as the locals call it, SEWE.) It's been a little hard for me to explain this event to my Oklahoman friends, so here's the best I've got: Imagine a large city-wide outdoor festival with a wildlife/nature/conservation theme. That pretty much sums it up!

The event lasted all weekend and included things like art shows (nature themed,) wild game cooking classes, animal exhibits and demonstrations, etc. etc. Mainly I think everyone likes it so much because of all the beer!

We checked it all out on Saturday with my friend Ali and her boyfriend Ryan. Ali was an Alpha Chi with me at OU (love the lyre!) and just moved to Charleston last week! I'm so glad to have an Oklahoma friend in Charleston and I'm excited to explore even more of the city with her. 


Me and Ali enjoying the festivities of SEWE
                                          
Ali and Ryan. Glad to have a new couple friend we can double date with!

Seeing the animals was definitely my favorite part of SEWE. John and I caught the Jack Hanna animal show where we saw a live cheetah, lynx, bobcat and lots of other fun animals. The wildlife art was pretty impressive too, but by far my favorite part of the day was hanging out with this guy....

Don't worry Mom, he's harmless.

My new friend

Unfortunately, it rained almost all day Sunday, so we missed out on the SEWE animal demonstrations planned for that day, including the dogs' dock diving competition. Maybe next year!

1 comment: