Sunday, August 14, 2011

Second Sunday on King

Once a month, the city of Charleston shuts down the ever-popular King street to traffic and lets the pedestrians take over the pavement. This wonderful idea is called Second Sunday on King and John and I went to check it out today.


King Street is always fun to explore because of the many shops, boutiques, restaurants and speciality stores that line the street. But today was even better because we didn't have to worry about getting hit by a car. With the road blocked off to vehicles, the crowds took to the street. Many restaurants had tables out in the street, shops had sale racks on the side walk and street performers were jammin' on almost every corner.

Take that cars!

We had a great time just shopping around at the stores and checking out some shops we've never been in before. And FINALLY I got to try a popsicle from King of Pops...something I've been wanting to do forever now. It seems whenever I see this yummy food cart, I never have any cash or time to stop. But today, a popsicle was the perfect solution to a hot muggy afternoon.


King of Pops sells handmade gourmet popsicles made with fresh fruit and ingredients. Today I tried the grapefruit mint ( a little tart, but very refreshing) and John got the South Carolina Peach (made with local peaches). Both were great, but a word to the wise: eat fast! I was too slow apparently and mine started melting down my arm.

I recommend bites, not licks.

Later in the afternoon, we decided dessert wasn't enough and we needed some lunch. So where did we stop? None other than good old Pita Pit! Nothing like Pita Pit to make me feel like I'm back in college in Norman again. Sigh. Too bad this Pita Pit was a little more run down than the one in Norman. Eww. But the pitas and the memories were still great.

Aww just like our college days!

No comments:

Post a Comment