Friday, July 15, 2011

Farewell to Harry

Tonight John and I are going to see the final Harry Potter movie. I have mixed emotions about it because part of me can't wait to see it and the other part doesn't want to see it because then it really is over.

Me and Harry go back a long way. I started reading the books when I was in the sixth grade. By then the first three books were out and I borrowed them from a friend. Ever since I have read each book as it came out. I must say, the anticipation for the newest book was always more exciting than waiting for the new movies.

My favorite memories are after John and I started dating when I was 16 and we would anxiously await the new books together. Then when it finally came out, we'd both get a copy and just sit together and read. Needless to say, now we have 2 copies of most of the books on our bookshelf.

We have three copies of the last book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" because John decided he also needed the British adult copy of the book. I'm pretty sure the cover is the only difference — I guess it looks more grown up.

I was 11 when I started reading HP and was 20 when the final book came out.

At about the 4th movie, John and I started seeing each one at the midnight showing when they came out. We waited in line for hours, stayed awake until excruciating hours when we had work or school the next day and once even had to sit in the very back row of the theater in broken seats...but it was all worth it.

The Deathly Hollows Part 1 movie was the first we weren't able to see at midnight. We didn't get to see the Part 2 movie at midnight either. I guess that means we're really grown ups now.

Me before seeing Deathly Hollows Part 1 (several weeks after it came out I hate to say)

Now we have our tickets and we're headed to see the last movie together tonight. If you would have told me when I was 11 that I'd be watching the last HP movie when I was 24 with my husband living in Charleston, SC — I would not have believed you. We've come a long way Harry.

I know it's not really over (we still have the excitement of it coming out on DVD right?) but it's still a little sad. I'm sure I'll still pick up the books now and again to reread some Harry Potter magic. And part of me really can't wait until John and I can read the books to our kids one day and rediscover the world of Harry Potter all over again.



1 comment: