Thursday, June 30, 2011

Great eats: Hominy Grill

We tried out our first local food joint today when we stopped at Hominy Grill for lunch on our way downtown. I read about Hominy Grill in my handy dandy Fromer's guide to Charleston (Thanks Aunt Elaine!) and John had seen it on Man vs. Food so he was excited to eat somewhere Adam had been.


According to Fromer's, Hominy Grill is known for its low country dishes and Southern down-home cooking. John loved it because they serve boiled peanuts as free appetizers at every table. After our peanuts, we started off our meal with the okra and shrimp beignets. John made me try them and....I actually liked them! Shrimp! Can you believe it? I couldn't.

We gobbled them down so quickly I hardly had time to get a picture while one was still left on the plate.


John, of course, ordered what Adam ate on TV — "The big nasty." It consists of a fried chicken breast on a biscuit, smothered in sausage gravy. He loved it! I opted for the curried chicken salad sandwich and it too was delicious. Although we didn't eat any grits, we loved what Hominy Grill had to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment